Elton John may be saying farewell to his own yellow brick road with a massive final world tour, but don’t think that’s the only thing the iconic performer is giving fans before his final curtain call. On Thursday (March 15), it was announced that John will be releasing a huge 26-track double disc featuring covers of some of his iconic tunes. The records, which have been titled Revamp and Restoration, will feature artists from the pop, rock, and country genres of music putting their own spin on some of John and longtime lyricist Bernie Taupin’s biggest hits.
Revamp will feature a collection of predominately pop and rock artists covering some of John’s hits such “Tiny Dancer” (Florence + the Machine), “Candle in the Wind” (Ed Sheeran), “Your Song” (Lady Gaga), “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters” (The Killers), and many more.
In a press statement, John reveals that he created a list of artists that he wanted to commission to work on the Revamp side of the double disc.
“On Revamp, I wrote out a wish list of people that I would love and asked them and to my surprise, most of them said yes, and we have quite an astonishing eclectic crew.”
As for Restoration, the second album, John explains that it was all about Taupin and what he wanted.
“God, we have so many great artists doing our songs, it’s quite incredible. Restoration was Bernie [Taupin]’s project and he’s a huge country fan. He came up with an astonishing list of country performers, both new and legendary.”
Unlike Revamp, Restoration will feature all country music artists. The record will bring together some of the newer faces of country alongside some classic country musicians. Current stars like Little Big Town, Marren Morris, Miranda Lambert, and Kacey Musgraves will join the likes of Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, and Rosanne Cash on the record.
For many of the artists featured on the records, this will not be their first time working with John and Taupin. Back in January, musicians including Sam Smith, Miley Cyrus, Alessia Cara, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, and Lady Gaga took part in CBS’ special Elton John: I’m Still Standing – A Grammy Salute. The show was put together by the Recording Academy to honor both John and Taupin for their contribution to the music world.
Revamp and Restoration currently has a tentative release date of April 6.
The covers album comes a few months after John announced his final massive outing for his Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour. The multi-year, 300-show excursion will kick off this fall after he wraps up his Las Vegas residency.
For now, the complete tracklisting for both Revamp and Restoration can be seen below.
1. “Bennie and the Jets” – Elton John, P!nk, Logic
2. “We All Fall in Love Sometimes” – Coldplay
3. “I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues” – Alessia Cara
4. “Candle in the Wind” – Ed Sheeran
5. “Tiny Dancer” – Florence + The Machine
6. “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” – Mumford & Sons
7. “Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word” – Mary J. Blige
8. “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” – Q Tip feat. Demi Lovato
9. “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters” – The Killers
10. “Daniel” – Sam Smith
11. “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me” – Miley Cyrus
12. “Your Song” – Lady Gaga
13. “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” – Queens of the Stone Age
1. “Rocket Man” – Little Big Town
2. “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters” – Maren Morris
3. “Sacrifice” – Don Henley and Vince Gill
4. “Take Me to the Pilot” – Brothers Osborne
5. “My Father’s Gun” – Miranda Lambert
6. “I Want Love” – Chris Stapleton
7. “Honky Cat” – Lee Ann Womack
8. “Roy Rogers” – Kacey Musgraves
9. “Please” – Rhonda Vincent and Dolly Parton
10. “The Bitch is Back” – Miley Cyrus
11. “Sad Songs (Say So Much)” – Dierks Bentley
12. “This Train Don’t Stop” – Rosanne Cash and Emmylou Harris
13. “Border Song” – Willie Nelson