A Star is Born is already garnering a slew of good reviews and there’s already talk that the remake may be one of the ones to watch during awards season. All that, and the film hasn’t even hit theaters nor have we heard a full song from its original soundtrack. Now, that’s changed. On Thursday (Sept. 27), Lady Gaga headed over to Zane Lowe’s Beats 1 radio show to exclusively premiere the album’s lead single, “Shallow.”
For those who have (repeatedly) seen the trailer for the forthcoming film, the song is predominately featured in the clip. In the teaser, Bradley Cooper’s character Jack is seen performing the song in front of a massive audience at a music festival. Jack then goes backstage and pulls a reluctant Ally (Gaga’s character) on stage with him so that she can perform the song alongside him. That’s when Ally belts out some of the song’s lyrics, showing off Gaga’s always impressive vocals.
Gaga co-wrote “Shallow” with Mark Ronson, Andrew Wyatt, and Anthony Rossomando while she co-produced the track with Benjamin Rice. During the premiere, Gaga talked to the DJ about the song, how she ended up working with Ronson once again, and how special the song is.
“I think things come in sequence and artists, you know, I think that we move to a certain cadence in a sequence in the way that we want to put things into the world that we believe in,” Gaga told the host.
“[But] especially with the song ‘Shallow’ being such a crucial moment in the film you know. I did work on Joanne with Mark Ronson and I worked on ‘Shallow’ with Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt and Anthony Rossomando. And we made this song for Ally and Jack and it’s such a special song you know. It’s two people talking to each other and talking about the need and the drive to dive in to the deep end and stay away from the shallow area.”
Watch the music video for the song above which features a combination of Gaga and Cooper performing the track as their characters as well as footage from the upcoming film.
Earlier this week, the complete listing for the 31-track soundtrack was released. The album, which features mostly original songs penned by Gaga and Cooper, is due out Oct. 5 through Interscope Records. Just like the original soundtrack, A Star is Born is due out Friday, Oct. 5. The complete track listing for the album can be seen below.
A STAR IS BORN SOUNDTRACK:
2. “Black Eyes” – Performed by Bradley Cooper
3. “Somewhere Over The Rainbow”
4. “Fabulous French”
5. “La Vie En Rose” – Performed by Lady Gaga
6. “I’ll Wait For You”
7. “Maybe It’s Time” – Performed by Bradley Cooper
8. “Parking Lot”
9. “Out of Time” – Performed by Bradley Cooper
10. “Alibi” – Performed by Bradley Cooper
11. “Trust Me”
12. “Shallow” – Performed by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
13. “First Stop, Arizona”
14. “Music to My Eyes” – Performed by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
15. “Diggin’ My Grave” – Performed by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
16. “I Love You”
17. “Always Remember Us This Way” – Performed by Lady Gaga
19. “How Do You Hear It?”
20. “Look What I Found” – Performed by Lady Gaga
22. “Heal Me” – Performed by Lady Gaga
23. “I Don’t Know What Love Is” – Performed by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
25. “Is That Alright?” – Performed by Lady Gaga
27. “Why Did You Do That?” – Performed by Lady Gaga
28. “Hair Body Face” – Performed by Lady Gaga
29. “Scene 98”
30. “Before I Cry” – Performed by Lady Gaga
31. “Too Far Gone” – Performed by Bradley Cooper
32. “Twelve Notes”
33. “I’ll Never Love Again (Film Version)” – Performed by Lady Gaga
34. “I’ll Never Love Again (Extended Version)” – Performed by Lady Gaga